Cook's Hideout: Ullipaya Gaarelu (Onion Vada)

October 23, 2012

Ullipaya Gaarelu (Onion Vada)

VeganMofo Day 23: I rarely deep fry at home, health is only part of the reason. I'm worried about on how to dispose or use up the leftover oil. But having my mom here, I don't have to think of ways to use up the oil, she has a ton of ideas up her sleeve. She does not heat up too much oil to begin with and she used the rest of the oil for daily cooking.

One of my son's favorite Indian fried food is "Vada (or Gaarelu in telugu)". He calls them "Indian Donuts". I didn't make them for him for the reasons listed above, so he asked my mom to make them for him and she immediately obliged and made them (grandparents definitely spoil the little ones). He thoroughly enjoyed these golden delicious beauties.
Ingredients:
Urad dal - 1cup
Green Chilies - 3, finely chopped
Onions - 1 medium, finely chopped
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Salt - to taste

Method:
  • Soak urad dal in plenty of water for at least 4 hours. Grind the soaked dal with LITTLE OR NO water. Add cumin seeds, green chilies and salt and set aside.
  • Heat oil for deep frying. To make the vadas, take about 2-3 tbsp of batter on a ziploc bag or aluminum foil, flatten it and poke a hole in the middle. Slowly transfer it into the hot oil and fry on medium-high flame until golden brown and cooked through.
  • Serve immediately with ginger chutney or sambar or coconut chutney or anything else.
 
Signature

3 comments:

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips